Tall & Curvy
9 SQUARES OF STYLE JOY!
I recently did a Story on Instagram where I included a question about edit that people would like to see here. Tall & Curvy was undoubtedly one of the most requested.
The first thing I would say is embrace your shape, your curves, your height.
Some quick style tips-
1. Jumpsuits are a great option.
2. Colour blocking is your friend because you can afford to cut your body if you are tall. If you are petite and cury, stick to one colour palette or a tonal palette as colour blocking will make you appear shorter.
3. If you are broad-avoid double breasted blazers-it adds more width. A sleek single breasted blazer is your friend. A draped jacket or waterfall front cardigan is another great option. Wear pieces with a definite shoulder. A dropped soulder adds bulk. Structure is your friend if you are curvy.
4. You can wear almost any style of jeans if you are tall; be brave and try the high waisted jeans and trousers that are a huge trend this season. Tuck in a shirt and add a blazer and you're good to go, for a more dressed down look-think tee's and a longline cashmere cardigan. If you are petite and curvy a high waisted cut is good for elongating your legs. Do not wear loose legged jeans as they will swamp you.
5. Belts are your friend too if you are tall. They are perfect for accentuating your waist and adding an extra dimension to an outfit.
6. Look to the 70's for silhouette inspiration- long belted trenches, midi dresses, high waisted jeans
and trousers-all winners if you are tall.
7. There are some great knitwear options for you this season. Irish Cashmere brand Madigan have this beautiful longline cardigan. It would look great for day wear layered up with jeans and chunky boots or really chic for evening with a simple slip dress and heels. Everyone needs at least one cashmere piece in their wardrobe It's spenny but you will have it for years!
8. Opt for structure if you are curvy-oversized shapes will only add bulk. The Stine Goya Asher dress included below in the edit is so flattering as it hugs your curves and skims them while the ruching on the waist provides great shape.
9. Go for large statement scarves and accessories. If you're tall you can carry them, with out them wearing you.
10. Be confident. You have one body. It has served you well and got you this far through your life. Love it and you!
It can be quite difficult to get pieces to fit correctly from many high street stores. The more well known high street chains (Zara, Mango etc tend to be shorter in the body and a smaller fit because they are Spanish and they run off a different size scale entirely. I have noticed ZARA stocking some longer length jeans recently so perhaps this is something they intend to focus on going forward.
You will now find Taller Wear at some better known sites- Next, Topshop and ASOS to name a few.
The Scandi labels are cut with taller women in mind as they are exactly that.
I am always happy to answer your style questions, you can contact me here.